Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Memoirs

Due to certain reasons, I have been cutting paper. After cutting the same designs over and over again, I've decided to try out something new. I went online to find a couple of stencils and I found THIS



She's a beauty isn't it? I thought, this would be my first A4 sized project, so, I decided to go ahead with the whole idea.



Her hair is about a millimeter. I had a tough time cutting the rounded edges.



Her kimono was the real challenge.



Her sleeves were just so hole-y. The shape of each hole determined the shape of the sleeves. So I had to cut that out really carefully. Her obi was "thrilling".



This is what it looks like from the back. This would soon be the product.




The kimono patterns were pretty simple if you were to just look at it. Cutting it was tough. Each flower had a hole in the middle. Cutting a minute, circle was tough.



Cutting the rest of the flowers on the kimono.



The flow of the kimono was so important. With the curves, it determined the geisha's elegant and poised features.



Several blisters and a small cut later, I have reached towards the end of the project. I have yet to cut her face, hands and foot. But for now I need to take a break. All in all, I took about 5 hours to do this. I need to do a little bit of touch up her and there and then I'll be sticking this on a white piece of card. I'm thinking about doing a collection on the Japanese culture. What do you think? I've got loads of stencils, perfect for the portfolio. I'll show you the finished product in the next post.

Gotta go put plasters on my fingers now.

Toodles with love,
Alanna the Banana

No comments: