Thursday, February 19, 2009

It finally hit me.

I seldom blog about high school and college life. One of the many reasons is because I didn't want it to be like an ordinary blog, just going on about my daily life and all. No offence to the ones who do that, I like reading your blogs to keep in touch with what's going on with you guys. =D
Also, I would be too lazy to narrate it out again about what happened and all in college because if I find something funny, 1. only my friends would get it, 2. only they would respond to it, 3. the rest of you guy would be wondering, what the hell is so funny about that. 4. when I try to explain it to you, you wouldn't find it funny, but out of politeness, you would just type "haha", 5. It wouldn't be so funny anymore.

Recently, I was talking to my younger cousin. She's just starting her secondary life. This girl here, sits down and tells me everything that goes on in her high school and then asks me for advice on how to handle certain situations. Then you start reflecting upon yourself and reminisce about your high school life. It never hit me that I left high school. I never thought I would miss my friends. I never even thought so much about high school until now. When I posted up a note on Facebook about asking people the memories we spent together, Arthur brought up a few wonderful moments. Now, I'm trying to remember every single memory I had of my secondary life.

My cousin brought this up. Spotchecks. Remember the times when we brought liquid paper to school and we, girls would put them up into our plaits on the skirt? We had to hold onto them. If we were lucky enough, it would stay there without dropping when we walked. We, the ones who brought "illegal" stuff would be worry our asses off. When we were in lower sec, we would bring minor stuff like liquid papers and extra money. As we grew older, we became more rebellious, bringing mp3 players, ipods, dvd series, not handing up our handphones. I remember we would hide them in all sorts of spaces. In the dustbin, wrapped up in paper, on the airconds, behind the soft boards. In the older classrooms, we had holes behind the soft boards. Those holes were pretty popular places to hide your gadgets. Hilarious. We had our prefect friends who always warned us about the spotchecks. But then we never got heads up anymore cause they didn't know when it would happen as well. Now I think back, why couldn't we just obey the rules? Then again, where's the thrill? =D

Remember those sales we had? Like, "Friendship Day" sales. (Man, why did they even bother calling it friendship day. Valentines day is supposed to be an occassion to celebrate your love for others. Your parents, your teachers, your friends. It's not necessarily for your other half only. Jeez. Friendship day also sold roses and bouquets of chocolates. What's the difference? It doesn't mean that changing the name can change the true meaning of the occassion. Deep down, we still know that it is INDEED valentine's day.) The papers circulating around the class, constantly having names filled in the boxes. People would genuinely buy lollipops for their friends, writing silly messages and inside jokes. Some would play tricks on their friends. They actually don't mind spending a ringgit or two to just get a few laughs. Fake secret admirers and all. It seems pretty lame now, we found it funny then. Actually, we still find it funny until now. Ordering is easy, getting the job done is damn difficult. You had 5 forms times 6 classes. times another average of 30 students. Then some of them buy so many things for random people like the infamous case of Jonathan Lam.

When our term papers came, we would struggle to study. Even though it's in the beginning of the year, now I think back and ask myself why couldn't I do better in the first term. There was only a few topics to study for, what could have been so difficult. But of course, you have to bear in mind, that time we had 10 bludy subjects to study for. But still, you can't help but think, why couldn't you work a little harder, worry more about the exam and all? Then when you get back your results, you don't actually care. Hmm.. I think it was because we thought we still had a long time to catch up on our work and we didn't think much about our future then. Now, when you're in college, you think about getting the highest percentage as possible to be on top of the class so that when the year ends, you get to choose whicever university you want to go to. Then, we were just kids and had constant fun.

UNIFORMS!!!! WMS uniforms were actually pretty decent. All we had to do then was just wear the same outfit everyday and it would be fine you know. In college, you gotta choose your clothes every morning? I have to lay out my clothes the night before cause I know, after mt showers in the morning, I would be shivering. Shivering while choosing your clothes, which is a long process, is not good. Girls, you know how we don't repeat our outfits unless necessary? Ah, you just think that you need more clothes, actually we don't. We just don't wanna be critisized about wearing the same clothes. But nobody actaully bothers about it cause we're in college, not a fashion show. But still, we don't repeat outfits. Guys, they just don't give a damn. But there are metrosexual ones you know.

Friends. You grew up together for 5 years and now you're all in different colleges and in different countries. I was thinking about the times we would laugh in class as a whole, knowing that we have a whole year together and still be friends the next. You went through tough times together. The F5 seriously made the class a whole much livelier. Before SPM, we had fun taking pictures and going around just not studying. Coming to school and not doing anything at all but play scrabble or basketball with the other forms who were having their post exams. (I miss those post exam activities!) Then we sit for our exams and we attend prom. We say that we'll always keep in touch with one another but in reality, we won't be able to all the time. We meet new people in college or at work and then we somehow can only just reminisce about the times we had fun together. Soon, we're all going to be separated again. This time, further. Most of us will be going overseas and only a handful would be staying back in Malaysia. There is always Skype and everything but the fact that we're in university, we wouldn't have much time to spend chatting online with old friends. Assignments, research and part time jobs would be in our way. It's sad I know, but its the truth.

At this moment, most of us are in college. We're always busy with assignments which are continuously stacking up. Unless you're like me, all organized and having very very good team mates who do everything you tell them to do. Tests that take into account in our final year-end score. Everything we do in college now seems to happen so fast. We're always writing notes and finishing up our work that we barely even realize that we're going to end this year very very soon, even though I know we're still in the month of february. For some of us, A levels have extra 6 more months. Everything is a buzz. SAM people are already stressed out, those who are taking the March intake, good luck to YOU guys.

So why am I finally talking about high school life? Why am I only talking about it NOW? Maybe it's because it finally hit me. That i've already moved forward into another chapter of my life and everything I said above belongs to the past. I just realized that I have more responsibles and I can't afford to joke around like in secondary life. We're talking about our futures here. Now. High school is over.