Monday, October 4, 2010

Tell me things

So I had a few friends asking how I do my nails so nicely without paying for a manicure. True you can get great service when you pay others to pamper your nails, but I believe that you can DIY too. So since I have an obsession with nail lacquer and I've been practising on myself for so many years, ok maybe just about ever since I got my left hand stable to do my right nails, I've decided to share a few tips with you guys. =)

Before applying polish:

Cut and file your nails a few days before painting them. 
At least 3 days before. This allows the nails to smoothen out so its a perfect canvas for painting. 

Buff them and moisturize your nails.
Hand moisturizers are good enough for this and by buffing, it gives that healthy glow and shine. 

ONE hour
Right before you decide to paint you nails, set aside one hour, that is if you're looking for perfection on your nails. Painting nails take time and you would prefer it to look neat and clean to look classy and expensive. 

When applying polish:

Use a base coat.
Yes, you've heard it from your friends, read it magazines and I'm telling you this again. Paint the top half of your nails first and then the entire nail with the second coat. The top half of the nails are more likely to chip off first. 

At least TWO coats.
When applying with your desired colour, paint at least two coats so that shade of the colour will be more uniformed and it shows it's true colour. You don't want a sheer coat as the strokes of the brush are more likely to be obvious. 

To the edge. 
Paint your nails until the edge of the nail. You could also paint a little underneath the nail. This will prevent them from chipping and it will last a little longer. 

Finish it up with a top coat. 
Always always always use the top coat. It covers the imperfections and it makes sure the colours last longer. 

Waiting for it to dry:

Clean. 
One word, clean. To make it look professional and tidy AND expensive. You would want to make sure your cuticles, the sides of the nails and everywhere else that you accidentally painted are CLEAN. 

Sticks and cotton balls.
Unroll the cotton balls and wrap around a stick. You can use an old chopstick or a cuticle stick. Tie it with a rubber band. Please prepare this before you start putting on your polish. Trust me, cotton fibre on nails are a pain. Pour nail enamel remover onto to the cotton to clean the mess. The reason why I do this is your nails don't get ruined because you're holding a stick. And with a sharper tip, you can clean the edges more efficiently without worrying about cleaning off the entire nail. 

Be PATIENT.
You want this to work out, be patient. Wait for them to dry out nicely. 


TIPS!

Glitter.
Glitter nail enamel work wonders because they make the imperfections of your application less obvious. 

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
I know it's not maths or piano, but if you like matte colours and you want them to look perfect. Practise applying them neatly and also strengthen your left hand (if you are a left hander, strengthen you right hand) to apply them neatly on your other hand. 

3 days to 1 week.
For you nails' sake, keep polish on for 3 days. The longest you can leave them on is about 1 week and no longer than that. Failure to do so, it might turn your nails dull and grey, sometimes even yellow. Trust me, not a sight. 

Square 'em.
Square nails are easier to paint on, so I've heard and read. It works for me, so I thought you guys might want to try that out. File them straight. 

Blob. 
To repair a chip, just take a small blob of lacquer and dot it on the chip. even it out if you can, as neatly as possible. Coat your entire nail with top coat again. 


Well, that's all the tips I have at the top of my head. If you guys have any questions, drop it in my formspring, I'll be glad to answer them. Well, hope you all found the post helpful. It is my first time giving out tips, so bear with me, I find it quite embarrassing. =3



Toodles with love, 
Alanna the Banana




No comments: